What you need to know.We have compiled a list of things to consider when building your retaining wall. Following this guide will help you to build your dream wall and maximise your savings!
1. Once you have decided you want a boulder retaining wall, the first question you will be asked is which type of rock you prefer. Head over to our rock types page to have a look at what’s available.
2. Our main products are Sandstone random, Sandstone Hybrid, Sandstone dimensional blocks, natural or quarried basalt. We’re able to source many more products on request, please don’t hesitate to ask. We also a variety of extras to help transform your property including free standing edging, letterboxes and steppers.
3. To make the process pain free, it is ideal to have retaining works completed when there is easy access to the site, ideally walls should be completed when the property is vacant and before the slab is poured. However, the Stonemasters team are experts at working with difficult access if timing just isn’t in favour. We take the utmost care and consideration to protect your property from damage.
4. Aside from rock choice and dimensions, access is the greatest pricing factor when building a retaining wall. That is, how close we’re able to deliver products to the location where the wall is being built and consequently how far we need to cart rock and other materials via machine to the build location..
At a squeeze, one of our machines can squeeze through a mere 1.6m opening, making a job possible. However, to make a job efficient and therefore cheaper for you, 3m+ is ideal.
While it is possible and at times unavoidable to unload products and materials directly from the back of our truck if space is at a premium, it is certainly beneficial to be able to dump and stockpile on site, whether it be footpath or front/backyard space.
5. We build walls in all sizes and designs, however, retaining walls over one metre in height will need an engineers design and certification (We can engage our engineers for this service). If you would like to avoid this cost we can run through often equally effective design ideas, such as a tiered wall, to help bring costs down.
6. If engineering is required we will request a soil test. You can either provide one of your own if you have had one done previously or we’re more than happy to do the leg work and engage our own independent soil tester.
7. Boulder walls are a superior option for both landscaping and retaining to provide access to steep or previously hard to access areas. They are incredibly flexible in design and options and are consistently the best value solution to create flat, useable space.
Ready to start your project? Enquire Now
We have been in the business for over thirty years and we are always happy to give advice so either fill out the form below or call us on 0487 777 939.